Sprockets and Chain

I actually installed the rear sprocket earlier in the build sequence, but it wasn’t used until this phase and it could have waited.

I put the bike on the center stand with 2×6’s underneath and strapped down the front end since I did not have it weighted at the time.

sprocket1

Removal of the Royal Enfield rear wheel was simple, following the normal steps.

sprocket2

Then I removed the stock hub/sprocket.


sprocket3

I bolted the 50-tooth sprocket to the changeable-sprocket hub using the 8 allen bolts supplied, then installed the new hub and replaced the rear wheel.

sprocket4

I slid the front sprocket onto the motor shaft and slide the square key into the square hole.

sprocket5

I installed the two set screws, but didn’t tighten them all the way until the chain was on.

I followed the steps in the operator’s manual for chain installation.  I tried to break the 530 HD chain with a hammer and punch, but it was absurdly difficult, even after I ground the head of the mushroom down.  So I hurried to Harbor Freight before they closed for the night and got their heavy duty chain breaker.  It did the trick, but I was surprised at how much effort it took to break the chain, even with the proper tool.

I installed the chain using the master link and tensioned it by tightening the wheel in the right location, checking for alignment.

With the chain installed, I loosened the set screws on the front sprocket and removed the square key momentarily.  I spun the rear wheel a few times until the front sprocket slid into the right location (left-right) on the shaft, aligned with the rear sprocket.  Then I reinstalled the square key and tightened the set screws, but apparently not enough!

During my second ride I did some acceleration runs until I somehow managed to lose the square key.  So I pushed the bike home and installed a new square key, using a little more torque, plus threadlocker when I put the set screws in.  After that, there were no problems.

Next:  Test Ride

Advertisements